Search

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Strawberries and Walnuts and Salads, Oh My!

How? How do strawberries and walnuts and salads go together? Well, wonderfully. 

Fruits, nuts, and lettuce always seems to go great together. I know, I know, you ask: "but what about salad dressing? Do you just call that dressed enough? Or do you bury the fresh flavors with a commercially bought dressing? Just oil and vinegar? What?!".

Our dinner last night was the perfect example of how to compliment a "fresh" salad without making the dressing the center of attention. 

Since we are going to a big 'ol Birthday party for yours truly tonight, there is no wine review for last night. Just saving up the little friend of mine I call "Liverace" (first name Wladziu Valentino? Produces bile? Anyone?).

Dinner

  • Spinach and Greens Salad with Strawberries, Walnuts, and Feta
  • Special Dressing
  • Sun Tea
  • And yes, Max made himself another BBQed Pizza

Our garden strawberries are not ready yet, but I suppose if they were this would be FAR more delicious (if thats even possible).
__________________________________________________________

Strawberry Salad

Greens (Spinach and Spring Mixes are my fave)

1/4 Cup Olive Oil
5-6 Strawberries
3-4 Tbl Balsamic Vinegar
Feta
Crushed Walnuts (not too fine)

Bowl of Happiness
Assemble your salad; all the greens, the feta, walnuts, and three or so strawberries (sliced).

In a blender combine the olive oil, remaining strawberries, and vinegar (I use A LOT of balsamic, adjust this part to taste) then puree it. When you get a good consistency out of it, give it a taste. Too vinegary? Add more oil. Too oily? Add more vinegar. You get the point. 

I like to dress my salads before I plate them. I toss them with a little of the dressing and viola, summer salad!






__________________________________________________________









1 comment: