Search

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Gluten Free "Flour"

I recently discovered that I have a mild wheat intolerance. Stomach issue plagued me for a long time until I figured this out. Now, I will “cheat” just like I would on a diet; I get excited, open up a baguette, devour it… then an hour later feel like someone just punched me in the stomach. But for the most part I will try and stick to wheat (or gluten) free alternatives. Max has even gotten great at putting together wheat free breads for me.

So far the BEST “flour” I have found is a blend that I can use in substitution for flour in any recipe. It seems to dry out some recipes more than others, so add more liquid as needed.

1 Part Rice Flour
1 Part Potato Starch (not potato flour, if you can't find potato starch you can substitute tapioca starch)
1 Part Cornstarch
1/2 Part Fine Corn Flour
1/2 part Tapioca Starch
1 Tsp Xanthan Gum Per Cup of Flour Mix

We make up big batches of this blend and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment