Search

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saved by Sushi

And this is why I married the guy! Besides his devilish good looks and ability to walk on stilts, this might be one of my favorite things about him: he knows how to win me over with fresh sushi.

My office was slammed today. Lunch is usually my escape, but not today. As soon as I walked into the kitchen I realized I had 5 minutes to rush back. Needless to say, my lunch plans were scraped and I started to hope I could find 15 quiet minutes later in the day to at least scarf down a crusty bagel (gluten free! Udi’s Handcrafted Foods Plain Bagels).

Thankfully a knight in shining armor saved me by delivering a plate of sushi, complete with a side of Diet Coke.

Lunch  
  • Max’s California-ish Rolls
  • Yellow Fin Sashimi
  • Diet Coke

_______________________________________________________________ 

Sushi Rice

Prepared Short Grain Rice, still warm
Sushi Vinegar
Fan
Rice Paddle
Cookie Sheet
Plastic Wrap
Four Hands

  1. Cover your cookie sheet with plastic wrap (this is awesome for clean up!), then dump your rice onto it.
  2. Add your sushi vinegar to the pile 1 Tbs at a time then “cut” it in. You don’t want to mix it because it will lose the consistency you want; instead you slice into it with your rice paddle repeatedly until it is thoroughly mixed in.
  3. While you are cutting in the vinegar you need your other hand (or a borrowed hand) fanning the rice to cool it. The longer you take to cool it, the drier your rice will turn out.
  4. Keep adding the vinegar until you get the taste you are looking for, no amount is a wrong amount.
  5. When you are ready to roll sushi be sure to only handle the rice with wet hands, that way the rice won’t stick to your fingers.

_______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment